Saturday, November 2, 2013

Member Testimony

This week our member testimony comes from Brother Dusty Vaughn.

Hello, my name is Dusty Vaughn. I would like to share my testimony with you and a little background on how I got there.

I was born into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, “kind of.”

My grandparents converted to the Church in 1960. The story my grandpa told is that one day he returned home from work and my grandma told him two missionaries from the Church had knocked on the door and she invited them back later for dinner when he would be home. He told me that he was very upset she had invited them back. He said he concluded that having grown up in the Church of Christ and being knowledgeable of the Bible, he could correct any of their teachings. He told me he couldn’t deny any of their teachings; he knew them to be true.  My grandparents, my dad, his siblings, and later their spouses all converted to the Church.  I’m thankful for this conversion because it led to me being “kind of” born into the Church.


I was born the oldest of 8 grandchildren and, as such, my family was only active in the Church long enough for me, the oldest, to receive a priesthood baby blessing. I often reflect back on what that blessing has meant to my life and the divine influence it has had. Growing up I can only remember attending Church a handful of times, if that many. As a result, it wasn’t until I was 15 that I decided I wanted to be baptized. After my baptism I still struggled with activity until midway through college. My inactivity was also mirrored by my family and, to date, I am the only active member of the Church; others are inactive or no longer members and, like me, did not study enough during this time to gain a testimony.

At college, or midway through, I was able to develop my own personal testimony of the restored Church of Jesus Christ, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I was able to start participating in young single adult activities and Church socials. I even went to Institute, a meeting on campus during dead hour, were we studied scripture. We rotated through the Bible (both old and new testaments), the Book of Mormon, etc.

It was in college that I read the Book of Mormon for the first time. I also read the Bible for the first time. The thing about being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the search for truth. And as such when missionaries teach investigators or members they encourage them to ask Heavenly Father if it is true. After all, it says in James 1:5–6 :

“If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.

And also in the Book of Mormon, 1 Nephi 15:11

“Do ye not remember the things which the Lord hath said?—If ye will not harden your hearts, and ask me in faith, believing that ye shall receive, with diligence in keeping my commandments, surely these things shall be made known unto you”

After reading the Book of Mormon, I turned to Heavenly Father in prayer and asked to know if it was true. I received a very distinct response that I will never forget and knew that it was true. However, Satan wasn’t through trying to convince me otherwise.

I graduated from college, bought my own home, and entered the “real world.” I was feeling the need to find a companion and start a family. The problem was that I kept dating young ladies of other denominations. I would have good dates with these young ladies and they would often comment to me the relief it was to find a “good” guy, sharing stories of ex’s who had alcohol or drug problems, etc. Then…came the religious discussion and once that took place things came to a screaming halt.
            
“Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.” Matt. 7:20

I struggled with that. At one point I even took a minister/preacher from another denomination out to lunch to explore if I was on the right track. During this lunch this clergyman told me he had a video about Mormons he wanted me to watch. He told me Mormons didn’t believe in the Holy Ghost. I clarified with him that we do believe in the Holy Ghost and he responded that I didn’t even know what my own Church believed. I was in disbelief. I knew that I was an idiot. How could I do this after having prayed and received an answer? I knew we believed in the Holy Ghost. After all, it’s the first of thirteen Articles of Faith:


I also hear the Holy Ghost referenced numerous times every Sunday. I realized that I needed a little more faith. I knew that if Satan was working this hard to pull me away that it was true beyond any doubt. I knew that Satan was spreading so much false ideas about the Church that it had to be true; otherwise he wouldn’t work so hard to keep people from converting.
“Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.” Matt. 5:11

Luckily for me, I endured the struggle of dating, or not much dating at all, and found someone to be married to for time and all eternity. In 2006 I married the most beautiful woman I’ve ever met/known and, luckily, she knew to be true what I knew to be true. Her beauty is complete inside and out. She constantly amazes me and she is special to me beyond measure. She has a knack for making people feel welcomed and, most of all, making me and our kids feel loved. I cherish her testimony of the Gospel and the way in which she partners with me in our parenting. She is also very determined to constantly improve our relationship and we know that by growing closer to God we will grow closer together. We’ve got two beautiful kids and hope for more. We’ve been blessed in so many ways and hope to continue to be blessed as we hold to the iron rod!

It is these experiences, along with personal study and prayer, that has given me my testimony. I know that anyone can receive their own personal testimony if they follow the outline laid out for us.

I know Jesus Christ, the literal son of God, to be our savior and redeemer.   I know that through him, and no other, we can all be forgiven of our sins. I know that he came to earth and taught his gospel, established his Church, called Apostles, taught the principles of salvation, and atoned for our sins. I know that he conquered death and was resurrected. 

I know the Book of Mormon is the word of God. I know that it is a record of prophets in the Americas that provides another witness of Jesus Christ as the redeemer of the world. I know that the Book of Mormon, along with the Bible, leaves no doubt that Jesus is the Christ; an indispensable witness of the doctrines of Christ and His divinity. The Apostle Paul taught "In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established." 2 Corinthians 13:1  

I know that through study of these Holy Scriptures we can come closer to God. These following scriptures testify of Jesus Christ as the Savior and Redeemer and leave no doubt to the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon:
Feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things that you should do.” 2 Nephi 32:3

“And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation.” Helaman5:12


“Come unto Christ, and be perfected in him” (Moroni 10:32).


  I know that because the Book of Mormon is the word of God and, as such, the First Vision is true; that Jesus Christ restored his Church through the prophet Joseph Smith. I believe that Joseph Smith went to Heavenly Father in sincere prayer and asked him which Church to join, as the Bible tells us to.
“If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.” (James 1:5–6)

I feel the spirit testify to me the truthfulness of this, when I study this recorded event.

I know that the Priesthood, the authority to act in the name of Jesus Christ, has been restored to the earth. I believe that Heavenly Father loves all of his children and as such there had to be a way for his church and authority to return to earth. I’ve been blessed by the priesthood in my life; by the baby blessing that I received, my baptism, my marriage, and the blessings I have given in the name of Jesus Christ and his authority.

      “The authority and power that God gives to man to act in all things for the salvation of man” 
      (D&C  50:26–27).

      “And thou shalt anoint them, as thou didst anoint their father, that they may minister unto me in the
      priest’s office: for their anointing shall surely be an everlasting priesthood throughout their generations.” 
      (Ex. 40:15)

       “Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God,
       they sent unto them Peter and John: Who when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might
       receive the Holy Ghost: (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the
       name of the Lord Jesus.) Then laid their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.” 
       (Acts 8:14–17)

know that there are Principles and Ordinances essential to Salvation and Exaltation; that the Scriptures provide instruction for these ordinances like the ones shown below for Baptism:

       “Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.” (John 3:5).

       “And he commandeth all men that they must repent, and be baptized in his name, having perfect faith in
       the Holy One of Israel, or they cannot be saved in the kingdom of God.” (2 Nephi 9:23).
       I know that the family is ordained of God. I know that marriage is to be between a man and a woman
       and we are to yield children in righteousness. I know that we will be held accountable for how we
       conduct our family relationships.

In the last year I’ve felt great spiritual growth. I’ve started studying to understand principles better. I’ll read scripture, not front to back, but by searching a topic and praying to know true interpretations of the things I have read. Most of all, I’ve felt the love that our Heavenly Father and Savior, Jesus Christ, have for ALL OF HIS CHILDREN. This year I’ve sat in people’s homes and shared what I know to be true and listened as they’ve shared what they know, or are learning, to be true. I’ve felt the spirit testify so strongly that the things we’ve discussed were true that I often was holding back tears. I’ve left these discussions by hugging strangers and telling them that I LOVE THEM. And I meant it! When sitting there feeling the Holy Spirit testify of Jesus Christ you can’t help but feel the love that he has for them and feel the same love for them. I personally have a testimony of repentance and know that through grace we are forgiven of our sins. I know that every Saint has a past and every sinner has a future. I know that we are all sinners and that we need to feast on the word of God to remain on the straight and narrow path to eternal life. It is my desire that everyone can know that God loves them, that he is there for them, and that he has provided a way for them to progress and return to be with him. I know that the only way to know and find truth is to study the scriptures and go to Heavenly Father in sincere prayer and ask in faith. I know that if this is done everyone can receive their own personal witness of Jesus Christ and his Gospel. 

In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Elder Jonathan CarterNovember 8, 2013 at 2:14 PM

    This is true. I know it and all that have and ear for the truth, and an open heart to God, will feel by the power of the Holy Ghost that these things are true. Thank you

    ReplyDelete